Knee Pain Adelaide
North Adelaide & Eastwood
Adelaide Podiatry Clinics offer care and treatment throughout Adelaide including North Adelaide, Eastwood, Fullarton, Prospect, Unley, Parkside, Dulwich, Malvern, Kingswood, Goodwood, Glenside, St Peters, Walkerville, Thorngate, Burnside, Norwood and Fitzroy.
- Is it sore around the knee when you run, jump, kneel down or squat?
- Do you dread stairs because your knees ache so much?
- Do you feel like it could give way?
- Does it pop, grate or grind as if the kneecap is catching on something during movement
- Does it swell up 2 days after activity?
Knee Pain is among the top three lower leg complaints we see at Adelaide Podiatry Centres. Over 50% of runners will develop a running injury in a year and 50% of those sports injuries will be knee-related. Knees are very susceptible to injury due to the nature of their anatomical location. Instability and weakness of the hip and poor foot mechanics all place the knee under enormous stress that often leads to problems.
Knee pain can be a serious problem for you. It’s a nasty condition and one that needs to be treated fast once it presents or ideally prevented in the first place. Often our patients will report that they get to half time and can’t play anymore, playing with the kids gets harder and exercise becomes near impossible. It will be a major issue for you (and your sport plans) if you don’t act early.
Once there is too much arthritis the effectiveness of conservative treatment by podiatrists and physiotherapists dimishes greatly and surgical procedures like arthroscopies and knee replacements become your only options.
Most cases of knee pain is caused by Patellofemoral Syndrome (mistracking of the knee-cap).
The other common causes are:
- Osgood-Schlatters (Childrens Knee Pain)
- Iliotibial Band Friction Syndrome (Outside Knee Pain)
- Patellar Tendinitis (Jumpers Knee – Common in Basketball and Volleyball)
- Medial Collateral Ligament Strain (Inside Knee Pain)
As mentioned above, in the cases of advanced arthritis the success rates of conservative treatment reduces and you may need surgery.