Inflammation of the growth plate in the heel of growing children.
The Achilles tendon is an extension of the calf muscles that attaches into the growth plate at the back of the heel bone. It is the largest tendon in the body.
- Ache when playing sport
- Limp when running
- Pain upon waking
- Growth of child has made bones longer than the muscles
- Tight calves
- Excessive pronation (flat feet)
- Poor/ soft footwear
- Excessive sport participation
- Stretching and icing regime
- Address biomechanics (footwear/ orthotics)
- Reduce sporting activities